Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday, May 6

Well, it was another long, but good, day at the convention! It is after 11:00, so you're not going to get much from me tonight, I'm afraid. Tomorrow, I'll be back at the hotel earlier, though, so I'll be able to give you more description then!


Here are the highlights:

*A really nice breakfast put on by Pearson (an education company) to celebrate and kick off the "2009 Jumpstart's Read for the Record." This program is designed to celebrate reading and encourage people to read to preschoolers. This year's book is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and they gave each one of us a copy of the book! Thank you Pearson!


*A couple of really good sessions about using technology in the classroom. I got some ideas that I think might work for next year, and some websites I need to check out. There were a couple I think you guys might like.


*Another session about how teachers can best help kids with reading.


*A last visit to the exhibit hall. Today was the last day for the exhibitors to be selling things, so I went and bought some things for our classroom (I'll show you those when I get home!) and a few more books. The books were on sale, which was exciting, and a nice excuse to buy a few more.


*A yummy dinner at a local diner.


*The poetry olio (pronounced o-lee-o), which included poetry performances by several poets, including Brod Bagert (we have some of his books in our classroom library). It was a lot of fun! (And I got a free book there, too!)


1 comment: