Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

july 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi Everyone! I had a lovely day yesterday for my birthday. I was finally feeling pretty good, so felt like eating (yahoo!). All the things we did and all the nice things done for me made for an absolutely wonderful day. We went to the rock-hewn churches (there are 12 of them), some in the morning, and some in the afternoon. They are amazing! The churches were "built" by digging down into the rock, so almost all of them are considered monolithic. The also "big" thing is that we went to the family home of our wonderful guide, Habtu, and his family made a traditional Ethiopian meal and we got to observe a coffee ceremony there. Everything together made for a memorable and fabulous day.

The hotel where we are staying in Lalibela is FABULOUS!!! It is quite new and absolutely beautiful. The chef here at the hotel is from Jamacia (I know I spelled that wrong, but can't figure out the right way right now), and he makes really great meals. The menu each day is set, but has several choices. My lunch choices for my birthday were mushroom soup, pot roast & mashed potatoes, with creme caramel for dessert. I was satisfied and happy with that meal, and everyone sang Happy Birthday when we got our dessert. The chef had a little secret for our lunch, though...another dessert! He found out that morning that it was my birthday and made me a special cake. :) Everyone was so sweet and kind. The Ethiopians don't celebrate birthdays for adults, so I think it was kind of a different thing for a lot of them.

Today was a really neat day, too, but exhausting! We spent the morning (7:30 am-1:30 pm) on a mule ride/hike. We traveled 2 km to go to a monastery that was also rock-hewn. The priest spent some time with us, talked with us, and then blessed us as we went on our way. It was really neat to experience that part of their religion. We came back for a yummy lunch and then went to the museum that has artifacts from the rock-hewn churches. Amazing to view those 600-900 year old crowns, Bibles, and robes. Beautiful!

Tomorrow we are on the road again - probably at least 10 hours to Gonder. We'll be there a couple of days. Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes and messages. This year was certainly a birthday to remember!

Jessica, tell Joshua that I am thrilled he is on the mend! Give hugs and kisses to the boys and a special scritch-scratch for Archie!

Love,
Alica

No comments:

Post a Comment